Thursday, January 12, 2012

Firstborn

Thirty two years ago today I gave  birth to my first daughter, Amanda. Of course back then you didn’t get the privilege of knowing if you were having a boy or girl so she was a big surprise.  I had just turned 17 years old and I didn’t have any idea what I was getting myself into. I remember growing up all I ever wanted was to get married and have a family. I didn’t have any big plans of going to school or any career goals. I just wanted a family of my own. My husband Rick and I were living in a 2 bedroom trailer in Coldwater. I remember the night my water broke. I woke up and thought I was wetting the bed. I went to the bathroom and then back to bed. A few minutes later, I had a cramp and my stomach tightened up and out came the water again. It was about 2:30 in the morning. I got up and called my mom. I could always call my mom when I needed advice.  She said my water probably broke and I should go to the hospital. So off we went. Amanda was born about 8:30 that morning. Six hours of labor, not bad for a first baby.  We brought her home 4 days later and Rick decided to see if she was really a girl while I was in the bathroom. When he unwrapped her she started to cry and it seems like she never stopped for the next 3 months.
She had colic and cried and pooped and puked every single time she ate.
 Having a baby was not what I had dreamed of. But she eventually grew out of it and she was adorable. 

I made a lot of mistakes that come with being a very young mother, but I have never regretted one minute of it. I have watched her grow into a beautiful young lady that serves the Lord. I couldn’t ask for me. We have gone through the typical struggles of relationships but I am proud of the woman she is today.

As I think about that bond that you have with your firstborn, I think about God and how he sent his only son to earth, knowing that what he was going to have to go through when he sent him. Think as a parent of your child, could you send your child to die for someone you don’t even know. Most of us as parents would say, I would die myself before I would see my child suffer. I can’t say that I would lay down my life for many people but my children are on that list.  Yet, God‘s son came to this earth with the sole purpose of giving his life so that we can have grace.  That is so awesome that it is hard to even imagine.  Jesus willingly came and gave His life for us and we weren’t even born yet. He offers us the true gift of grace and all we have to do is accept it.  Who wouldn't want a free gift that gives such a great reward . God Bless


No comments:

Post a Comment